Self-Critique



     As a new photographer, I've noticed when you take a good shot you'll notice.
 Whether your photograph is the next Mona Lisa, you will find something wrong with it.  You can have something moving between your shots, have lighting issues, or in my regard boring shots.
There will always be something you can critique as a new photographer, you're new, you might not understand the basics of your camera model, and that's entirely okay. Self-Critiquing is important to find out what you can improve upon.
 
     In my two examples, I'll try to explain what I could have done better and what I did wrong.  I'm still a new photographer and have many things to learn and critiquing myself is a way of learning from one's past mistakes.

Example #1

                                         Long line at the Oregon State campus Dutch Bros for $1 coffee               

  I would consider E#1 my best picture so far, as it illustrates a multitude of people in a small confined frame. I love that I was able to capture some emotion from the subjects I was photographing. We have the lady with a hijab and red shirt underneath displaying a smile with a wide grin. Next, we have the man in the grey shirt looking straight into the camera rather nonchalantly. Lastly, there's the dark brown haired lady with what looks like a denim shirt offering another smile to the frame. I feel that being able to capture a few emotions from a large crowd of people can really change how your photo is portrayed.
 Now, this photograph does have problems.
The subjects in this photo are out of frame, concentrating on something else entirely.
This picture could have been cropped and edited to make the people in this shot the overall idea of the subject.


Example #2

Memorial Union lit up at night

  E#2 is what I would consider my worst photograph so far. It doesn't contain anything particularly special or in the moment. It's a building thousands before I have taken photographs of. There are no subjects in front of such building, it's just a boring picture of a building without any substance.
 The lighting is terrible in this photo. 
 I was trying to take both a side angled shot and a centered one. This is the one that came out acceptable in terms of lighting and the sweet angle of the building I was trying to display.
 The trees in front of the building are more in focus than the subject I was meaning to photograph.
  
End Segment
  
So all in all, I have many things to learn. For night photography, I need to find the right correlation of lighting and subject matter. I also need to work on my focusing, both photos had serious focusing problems. With my next week of photos coming up, I hope I've improved on focusing and subject manner.


              

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Week 1 Forum

Week 5 Photo Assignment